SharePoint 2013 – Failed to do column assignments for list

I got the Failed to do column assignments for list error in my SharePoint logs today.

Ok, so a quick google/bing and I found this article:

Failed to do column assignments for list

That’s easy …

No, it is  not the same issue. I don’;t have any ColNames specified  It looks like the error Failed to do column assignments for list means something is wrong with the fields in your schema.xml file.

In my case, I had two copies of the same field in my schema.xml. So why is the same error appearing for both these situations?

SharePoint goes through the fields specified in the list definition and  creates the field.

The second time the same field is being created the internal name of the field already exist and therefore it can’t be assigned.

This is great! The error actually said what was wrong. I just wish that it had been a bit clearer 30 minutes ago.

Advertisements

Please leave a comment or feedback

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.