Today I upgraded my development SharePoint 2013 farm and things didn’t go as they should. The installation of the update all worked fine, but when I ran the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard things went a bit belly up.
During the configuration step 5/6 suddenly things went wrong. I the logs I found the following errors:
08/18/2015 08:59:34 13 ERR Task services has failed with an unknown exception
08/18/2015 08:59:34 13 ERR Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —> System.ArgumentException: The directory name you entered is invalid. Please enter a new name.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDiagnosticsService.set_LogLocation(String value)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPDiagnosticsService.InitSPDiagnosticsServiceFromRegistry(SPDiagnosticsService service)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ReflectionHelper.InvokeConstructor(String assemblyQualifiedName, Type constructorSignature, Object constructorParameters)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskCommon.ReflectionHelperInvokeConstructor(String assemblyQualifiedName, Type constructorSignature, Object constructorParameters, TaskBase task)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InvokeServiceConstructor(String serviceRegistryKeyName, String solutionIdRegistryName, String serviceNameRegistryName, Type constructorSignature, Object constructorParameters)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServiceInConfigDB(Boolean provisionTheServiceToo, String serviceRegistryKeyName)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.ServicesTask.InstallServices(Boolean provisionTheServicesToo)
The diagnostic logging service failed as a directory didn’t exist. hmm, strange because the upgrade logs reporting the message back to me still used D:\Logs but when looking at Regedit my logs seems to be in E:\Logs.
Something is not right here. I’m sure that my logs always lived in D:\ rather than E:\ and E:\ is taken by my DVD drive. So SharePoint can’t create the required log drive on my E drive.
First I moved my DVD drive to Z: so that it is out of the way.
Then I mapped an E drive to point at \server\d$ at least whatever is wrong can now be fixed and my products wizard can run again.
No that SharePoint is up and running again I don’t really want to keep the E and D drives mapped at each other. So within Central admin I updated my diagnostic logging directory and all seems to be working as expected again.
I’m not sure what happened but at least I’m not the first person to have this problem as it seems to exist in SharePoint 2010 too.